Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A quote I think all teenagers could learn from.


"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don’t bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: “It’s not where you take things from - it’s where you take them to."

- Jim Jarmusch


I think a lot of the younger generation is having a hard time figuring out who they are and what is really important in life. We are all trying to create an identity; we are all trying to figure out what we believe, how we are going to live and what choices we we want to make. I think right now is harder than it's ever been for younger people. We are more aware of what is going on in the world around us and it's scary. The economy, war, etc. There have been a lot of changes in the world and I think we all just want to know that everything is going to be okay. I know that I wish I could see what the future is going to bring, but I can't. I just have to live my life the way I think is best for me and hope that everything works out okay. I know who I am, and I know what I believe. I think we all need to stop worrying about what everyone around us is doing and worry about ourselves. It's just like our teachers tell us, I don't want to know what your neighbor knows, I want to know what you know. It's true. We should be learning and growing for ourselves, not for anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment